The Cost of Dental Sealants
Affordable Dental Care at Gentle Family Dentistry
Did you know that dental sealants are a highly effective method to prevent tooth decay, especially in children? Yet, many people wonder how much dental sealants will cost and whether their insurance will cover it.
At Gentle Family Dentistry, our dentist ensures that everyone gets the care they need for a healthy smile. To schedule a consultation at our Bakersfield dental office, contact us today by calling 661-664-9900.
How Much Do Dental Sealants Cost?
Dental sealants cost between $30 and $60 per tooth, but the exact cost may vary. Various factors will influence the total cost. Your investment in sealants can save you money in the long run by preventing cavities and the need to pay for fillings or more extensive dental work.
Factors Affecting Cost
The cost of dental sealants is influenced by several factors, such as:
- Geographic Location: The cost of dental services, including sealants, can vary significantly depending on where you live. In areas with a higher cost of living, dental services tend to be more expensive.
- Dental Provider: The cost may differ from one dental provider to another. Private dental practices, community health clinics, and dental schools may have varying pricing structures.
- Sealant Material Used: There are different types of dental sealant materials available, such as resin-based and glass ionomer sealants. The cost may vary depending on the type of material used. Resin-based sealants are more common and may be more expensive.
- Number of Teeth Treated: The cost of dental sealants will depend on how many teeth need to be treated. Typically, dental sealants are applied to the chewing surfaces of molars and premolars, which have deep grooves that are more susceptible to cavities.
- Insurance Coverage: If you have dental insurance, it may cover some or all of the cost of dental sealants.
- Age of the Patient: Dental sealants are often recommended for children and teenagers, as their teeth are more susceptible to cavities. Some dental providers may offer discounts or promotions for pediatric patients.
Coverage for Children
Most insurance plans cover the cost of dental sealants for children, as they’re considered a preventive measure to help reduce the risk of developing cavities. Dental insurance providers recognize the importance of this procedure in protecting children’s teeth from decay, which is why coverage is typically provided for individuals under 18 years old.
As a parent, confirming with your dental insurance provider about the inclusion of sealants in your plan is a wise step.
Coverage for Adults
Although less common, adult insurance coverage may be offered by some plans, including partial coverage or discounts for dental sealants. Coverage for adults may depend on the specific policy and insurance provider, so it’s important to contact your insurance company to determine if your plan includes coverage for dental sealants.
For those without insurance or needing additional support, financial assistance programs are available to help cover the cost of dental sealants. These programs can make preventive dental care more accessible and affordable for individuals and families in need.
Free Dental Sealants for Children
Free dental sealants for children are available through state programs or the CDC’s school-based Sealant Programs, which aim to provide access to preventive dental care for children in need. These programs target children aged 6 to 11 from low-income families who may not have access to regular dental visits.
Participation in these programs enables children to get dental sealants either at a subsidized cost or completely free of charge. This helps ensure that all children, regardless of their financial situation, can benefit from the cavity-preventing effects of dental sealants.
Discount Plans and Low-Income Programs
For adults seeking dental sealants, discount plans and low-income programs may be available to help reduce costs. Some states offer Medicaid coverage for sealants, and certain dental clinics provide discounted rates for low-income patients.
For adults who need dental sealants but lack insurance coverage or require more financial assistance, these options can be a valuable resource to make preventive dental care more affordable and accessible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are dental sealants worth it for adults?
Dental sealants are a great preventive measure for adults looking to reduce the chances of tooth decay. They provide back teeth with an extra layer of protection and are a great solution for any adult still possessing baby teeth. Overall, dental sealants are well worth it for adults.
What is the best age to get dental sealants?
Children between the ages of 5 and 14 are the best candidates for dental sealants, with the first permanent molars appearing between 5 and 7 and the second molars appearing between 11 and 14 years old. It is recommended that children receive dental sealants in this age range.
Schedule Your Dental Sealant Consultation Today!
Dental sealants are a highly effective method for preventing cavities, especially in children. The cost of dental sealants varies depending on several factors, but insurance coverage and financial assistance programs are available.