Clear, Quick & Comfortable Orthodontic Treatment
Patients may be reluctant to seek necessary orthodontic treatment because they don’t want to wear braces. While metal braces have proven effective orthodontic treatment, they can also be uncomfortable, unattractive, and involve a lengthy treatment time.
For the sake of your smile and your health, it’s important to undergo orthodontic treatment if your dentist deems it necessary. At Gentle Family Dentistry, Dr. Garger recommends Invisalign for a more comfortable treatment.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign utilizes aligner trays made from patented SmartTrack® technology to gradually straighten your teeth. Invisalign is capable of treating many of the same dental issues as traditional braces, including:
- Open Bite
Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign offers a number of benefits that make it a more attractive option than metal braces. These benefits include:
- Removable Aligners: Because the aligners are removable, you can enjoy the foods you love without worry. This also makes your aligners much easier to clean.
- Comfort: Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign doesn’t use uncomfortable metal brackets and wires that can irritate your mouth.
- Clear Material: Invisalign’s SmartTrack material is transparent, making your orthodontic treatment unnoticeable.
- Quick Treatment Time: The average treatment time with Invisalign is less than half the average treatment time of traditional metal braces.
How does Invisalign Treatment Work?
Step 1: Consultation
You’ll attend an initial consultation with Dr. Garger where he’ll determine if Invisalign is right for you. Dr. Garger will perform a thorough evaluation of your teeth, gums, and jaw, review your medical history, and discuss your smile goals with you. This information helps him determine your candidacy for Invisalign.
In some cases, Dr. Garger may recommend a supplemental procedure such as interproximal reduction to improve your candidacy and the efficiency of your treatment. This procedure involves shaving a small portion of the enamel from between your teeth. This allows for a greater range of tooth movement with Invisalign treatment.
Dr. Garger will inform you of all of your orthodontic treatment options before proceeding.
Step 2: Imaging
We’ll take digital images of your mouth that will serve as blueprints for your aligner trays. These images will be sent to a special laboratory, where your custom-made Invisalign trays will be crafted.
Step 3: Your Invisalign Clear Aligner Trays
Once we receive your aligners, you’ll return to our Bakersfield, CA office. Dr. Garger will make sure that the first set fits properly before sending you home with the rest of your aligner trays.
In the coming months, Dr. Garger may have you return to evaluate your treatment’s progression. Depending on how your treatment is going, he may order new aligner trays as necessary.
Step 4: Wearing Your Invisalign Aligner Trays
Your Invisalign treatment will involve wearing each set of your custom-made aligner trays for the prescribed amount of time. You’ll need to wear your aligner trays for a minimum of 20-22 hours each day. Depending on your personalized treatment, you’ll wear each set of trays for an average of two to four weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ll need to remove your aligner trays to eat, drink beverages other than plain water, and clean your teeth. Failure to remove your trays in these instances can lead to damaged, stained, ineffective aligners, as well as bacterial build-up that could cause bad breath, tooth decay, and gum disease.
When you first start wearing each set of aligner trays, some mild soreness is normal as your teeth are being moved into a new position with each set you wear. This soreness should subside after a few days and can be easily managed with over-the-counter pain medication.
If your pain doesn’t fade after a few days or you feel like it’s intolerable, call our Bakersfield office at (661) 664-9900 as soon as possible. We’ll do what we can to resolve any issues you might be having with your treatment.
Taking proper care of your Invisalign trays is essential for effective treatment. Dr. Garger recommends following these instructions to maintain your aligners:
- Remove your aligner trays before you eat, drink beverages other than water, and clean your teeth.
- Use lukewarm water, a soft-bristled toothbrush, and a gentle antibacterial soap or toothpaste to clean your trays.
- Store your aligners in their protective case when they’re not in use.
- Soak your aligner trays at least once per day in a mix of three parts lukewarm water and one part white distilled vinegar or Invisalign cleaning crystals.
- Rinse your aligners before putting them back in your mouth.
- Remove your aligners from back to front to avoid tearing them.
Untreated dental misalignment can lead to a host of oral health issues that can negatively impact your oral health and wellbeing, including:
- Gum disease
- Further misalignment
- Tooth decay and loss
- Gum recession
- Teeth grinding (bruxism)
- TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder)
Quick, Clear, Comfortable Results With Invisalign
With Invisalign, you’ll be able to correct your misalignment more quickly and comfortably than with traditional metal braces. Additionally, your treatment will be so discreet that no one will be able to tell you’re wearing aligners.
To learn more about the benefits of orthodontic treatment with Invisalign, schedule a consultation with Dr. Garger at our Bakersfield office by dialing (661) 664-9900. You can also book an appointment online by filling out the form below and a friendly staff member will get back to you shortly.